1. Google: Launch of New AMP Testing Tool Now Available in Google Search Console
The tool works for mobile devices and uses Google’s “live web-search infrastructure” to analyse the AMP page with the real Googlebot — providing users with real time results. It tests the validity of the AMP markup and structured data on the page related to AMP.
2. Google Plan on Dividing its Index into Desktop & Mobile
Gary Illyes has announced that within the coming months, Google will create a separate mobile index that search engines will use to respond to queries. Also note that mobile’s index will be updated more regularly than desktop.
3. Google: Insecure Web Pages can Still Receive the HTTPS Ranking Boost
Google gives a small ranking boost to “secure” pages (https), the purpose of which is to encourage site owners to change from http to https.
Gary Illyes mentioned that Google only looks at the first characters of the URL (http / https), to attribute the ranking boost to the site.
4. Google: Local SEO is much more competitive now!
Local businesses have finally realised the importance of doing the local SEO “basics”, this means more business are vying for a limited number of high ranking spots.
Utilise the 2016 Local SEO ranking factors guide when optimising for local.
5. Google: Expect New Search Updates Towards End of Quarter
John Muller has recently stated that Google implements search engine and algorithms adjustments towards the end of the business quarter.
This is something you should consider when witnessing abnormal trends during these periods.
6. Google Testing Mobile Sitelink Icons
Interestingly Google’s mobile sitelink icon test does not appear to be schema related, instead Google is identifying specific and common pages when assigning icons.